Thursday 22 September 2011

The tournament that never was......

A first in my experience. Cancellation of an international tournament just a few days in advance. The Cala Millor Open was due to take place alongside the Amateur chess festival in Majorca from 24 September-2 October, and myself and Ginger GM Simon Williams had both booked up our flights and accommodation for the tournament. Becoming a little suspicious that no list of players had been posted a week before the event was scheduled to take place I emailed the organiser, who responded on the 19th (last day of registration) to say that sadly the tournament had been cancelled.

I understand that if there aren't enough entries it can't go ahead, but you would have thought that he would've let us know this might be the case just a bit further in advance! Anyway, we are off to Majorca anyway for a warm weather training camp :) I'll let you know how it goes.

0 comments: