Wednesday 21 September 2011

Livigno- the review


Livigno goes down as one of the best tournaments I have played in. Stunning location, Great food (and wine!), Strong, well organised tournament.... I could go on. But the chess itself was a huge success, not so much for me as my travelling buddy and former student Callum Kilpatrick. Callum made his first IM and GM norms in the same event (probably part of a select few) as well as earning almost 60 rating points, which is enough to lift him over 2300 and give him the FM title (and he won 400 euros!) So big congratulations to him. My tournament also had good moments as I finished on 5/9 against an average field of just under 2500 to gain 13 rating points. At one stage it promised more, after defeating GM Fedorchuk (2635) to go to 4/6 and a good norm chance myself. However two poor games followed to squash that chance. I'd recommend this tournament to anyone looking for a tough, interesting and spectacular open to play in next year.

0 comments: