Thursday 20 October 2011

Movements in Madrid


I'm just back from a lovely 10 days in Madrid, playing in the second Oliver Gonzalez Memorial tournament. It was actually being held in Leganes, just outside the capital but I stayed in the centre, just off the famous 'Gran Via' street.

I found Madrid a really captivating, energetic city heaving with people (especially after midnight, when they took over the bars and restaurants) The food was particuarly good, and I would definitely recommend a trip to the city at some stage in your life.

As far as the chess goes, I found myself on 4/4 after a relatively easy start and a good victory in round 4 over IM Almagro Llamas (2466). Unfortunately a shocking game followed, and a defeat 2 rounds later to GM Khamrakulov (2503) left me on 5/7. I managed to win my final two rounds (in very lucky fashion in both cases!) to end up in 8th place, picking up 8 rating points and a bit of money.

Aside from the chess the organisers went out of their way to ensure that the event was fun. With the games starting at 6.30pm, many side events were organised alongside the chess including Karaoke Nights, a magic show, a football match and tour of the Bernabau stadium, and a gastronomical evening.

All in all an excellent tournament, and I hope to return to Madrid in the very near future.

0 comments: